( 2 positions available)
The grounds laborer works within the Physical Plant Department under the direction of assigned supervisors. Responsibilities include the maintenance of University grounds, minor repair to grounds equipment, and other grounds keeping tasks to maintain a safe and attractive environment. Grounds personnel, in addition to their normally scheduled hours, must be available for early morning and/or late night hours for work, events, inclement weather and for other duties as required in meeting the goals and mission of the University.
Grounds personnel will in the course of their duties affect the operation or service of all aspects of the community. They must therefore perform their duties in an expedient and proficient manner and maintain a courteous and professional demeanor when interacting with students, staff and faculty.
Education and Work Experience:
High School Diploma, GED, or any combination of education, training, or experience in the field of grounds care which fulfills the requirements of the position and needs of the University.
Skill and Job Requirements:
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Physical Plant and work with skilled and unskilled personnel.
- Must be able to work outdoors and in varying weather conditions and temperature extremes without health affects that would inhibit normal work performance.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions. Need to have the ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills.
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing missions of the University.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Tennessee Driver's License and be able to be added to the University vehicle insurance policy.
This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties to meet mission requirements of the University and cooperation of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
- Examines and polices the University grounds multiple times daily removing litter, branches, debris, etc., and emptying designated waste containers.
- Removes weeds manually or with equipment, mows grass and trims turf and ornamentals with power mowers, power trimmers, and other powered and non-powered equipment
- Uses pressure washing equipment to help maintain and clean sidewalks, breezeways, building entrances, porches, etc.
- Utilizes power and manual controlled equipment to gather leaves on campus properties for properly instructed removal to designated site/containers.
- Maintains University parking lots and streets in the immediate vicinity of the campus by removing debris, grass clippings, garbage, etc.
- Removes snow and ice using power snow blowers, chemical ice melters, tractor mounted equipment, shovels, and/or ice scrapers.
- Performs routine maintenance, up-keep, and cleans all grounds equipment and tools used or as designated by supervisor.
- Must be able to adhere to schedules and work independently with little direction.
- Provides support and manpower as directed to other University and Physical Plant departments.
- Performs related duties as directed. Also performs duties involving setups for special events as assigned which will include moving items such as tables, chairs, hanging banners, setting up staging, building alternative structures, and placing optional flooring, etc.
Please submit completed employment applications or resumes electronically to Nannette Turner, Management Support Assistant, at email@example.com.