The grounds laborer works within the Physical Plant Department under the direction of assigned supervisors. Responsibilities include the maintenance of University grounds, minor repair to grounds equipment, and other grounds keeping tasks to maintain a safe and attractive environment. Grounds personnel, in addition to their normally scheduled hours, must be available for early morning and/or late night hours for work, events, inclement weather and for other duties as required in meeting the goals and mission of the University.
Grounds personnel will in the course of their duties affect the operation or service of all aspects of the community. They must therefore perform their duties in an expedient and proficient manner and maintain a courteous and professional demeanor when interacting with students, staff and faculty.
Education and Work Experience:
High School Diploma, GED, or any combination of education, training, or experience in the field of grounds care which fulfills the requirements of the position and needs of the University.
Skill and Job Requirements:
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Physical Plant and work with skilled and unskilled personnel.
- Must be able to work outdoors and in varying weather conditions and temperature extremes without health affects that would inhibit normal work performance.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions. Need to have the ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills.
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing missions of the University.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Tennessee Driver's License and be able to be added to the University vehicle insurance policy.
This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties to meet mission requirements of the University and cooperation of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
- Examines and polices the University grounds multiple times daily removing litter, branches, debris, etc., and emptying designated waste containers.
- Removes weeds manually or with equipment, mows grass and trims turf and ornamentals with power mowers, power trimmers, and other powered and non powered equipment
- Uses pressure washing equipment to help maintain and clean sidewalks, breezeways, building entrances, porches, etc.
- Utilizes power and manual controlled equipment to gather leaves on campus properties for properly instructed removal to designated site/containers.
- Maintains University parking lots and streets in the immediate vicinity of the campus by removing debris, grass clippings, garbage, etc.
- Removes snow and ice using power snow blowers, chemical ice melters, tractor mounted equipment, shovels, and/or ice scrapers.
- Performs routine maintenance, up-keep, and cleans all grounds equipment and tools used or as designated by supervisor.
- Must be able to adhere to schedules and work independently with little direction.
- Provides support and manpower as directed to other University and Physical Plant departments.
- Performs related duties as directed. Also performs duties involving setups for special events as assigned which will include moving items such as tables, chairs, hanging banners, setting up staging, building alternative structures, and placing optional flooring, etc.
Must be able to stand, climb, walk, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, twist, reach above head, turn head from side to side, be capable of repetitive movement of arms and hands, bend and extend both elbows, use both hands simultaneously, etc. Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls a variety of tools, equipment and materials which may involve heavy weights up to and exceeding 75 lbs. which are considered manageable and safe. Must be able to sit for extended periods of time. Climbs up to 4 flights of stairs at one time. Must be able to complete each of these tasks individually, simultaneously with other movements, and repeatedly throughout the work day. Handles a variety of hand and power tools. Near-visual acuity needed to read equipment diagrams and inspect parts. Depth perception, field of vision, and color vision needed in fitting and installing parts and when operating equipment. Must be able to work in dirty, dusty environments without affecting health issues such as allergies, asthma, etc. Exposed to noise and vibration from operating machinery. The work environment will require the use of provided personal protective equipment for the eyes, ears, and hands as needed. Must have the ability to function effectively in extreme weather conditions such as wind, cold, heat, etc.
Estimated amount of each day spent (several are done simultaneously):
- Walking – 25%
- Standing – 25%
- Sitting – 30%
- Bending (neck) – 60%
- Bending (waste) – 50%
- Squatting – 30%
- Climbing – 5%
- Kneeling – 25%
- Crawling – 5%
- Hand Use – 90%
Works in extreme hot and cold conditions indoors and outdoors. Exposed to wet, cold, wind and other extreme weather conditions. Exposed to conditions that cause some individuals hay fever or allergies. Slips and falls may occur when walking on campus and into the building from wet/slick surfaces.
Estimated amount of each day spent:
Interested candidates should submit their resume or application (an application can be found by clicking this link) to Tim Carter, Coordinator of Business Operations for Physical Plant, at email@example.com or by mail at:
Attn: Physical Plant
PO Box 3450
Cleveland, TN 37320
If you have questions about this position, please call 423-614-8086.