• The Lee University Counseling Center provides parents with resources to help their student with emotional development.

    I am worried about my child. Can you go to his/her room and talk to him/her?

    Our staff members do not initiate phone calls, e-mails or room visits to students. We do, however, have daily walk-in hours (Monday 2-3:30; Tuesday 1-2:30; Thursday 8:30-10; & Friday 10:00 – 11:30) available for students to come in and meet with a counselor. If you believe your child is reluctant to call the Center, we would be happy to consult with you individually about your concerns.

    Can I make an appointment for my child?

    We prefer that your son or daughter call the Counseling Center to schedule his or her own appointment. We have found that they know their schedule best and that they are more likely to keep their appointments if they have scheduled them.

    We invite parents to call the Counseling Center to speak with a counselor if they have any questions about our services or if they are wondering how to assist a son or daughter struggling with a particular issue. To contact us, please call (423) 614-8415. A counselor can talk with you about ways to encourage your student to schedule an appointment and how to talk to him or her about counseling. We can also provide parents with referrals to counseling services outside the University.

    In order to see a counselor, your child can come by the Counseling Center during our walk-in hours (Monday 2-3:30; Tuesday 1-2:30; Thursday 8:30-10; & Friday 10:00 – 11:30) and see a counselor on a first-come, first-served basis. If they cannot make it during our walk-in times, they can call the Center (614-8415) and ask the receptionist for assistance. During the walk-in session itself, which normally lasts 20-30 minutes, a counselor will work with your child to determine how and where his/her needs can be best met. She or he may be referred to an individual counselor, to a group, or referred to another agency in the community.

    How do I know if my child needs counseling?

    Students seek counseling for many reasons including, but not limited to the following: loneliness and adjustment issues, concerns about career choice and/or academic performance, family concerns such as alcoholism or divorce, emotional difficulties such as depression or anxiety, roommate conflicts, food or body image issues, problems with substance use, and suicidal feelings. Students may be seen at the Counseling Center or referred for other psychological or psychiatric services depending on the nature of their presenting issues.

    How can I help my child?

    The college years, late adolescence and young adulthood, are a critical developmental time in the life of your son or daughter. In addition to growing intellectually, he or she is learning to live independently, make choices, accept responsibility, form relationships with others, contribute to the community and further develop a sense of identity and purpose in life. These important steps are never easy and often are quite stressful. This is also a time when some individuals first experience problems with depression, anxiety or other psychological disorders.

    As clinicians, our staff members understand the concerns and anxieties that parents of university students experience. We view parents as critical partners in helping students survive and thrive in the university environment. Whether you have questions about adjustment to the university or other psychological or emotional issues confronting your student, we welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and answer your questions within the bounds of confidentiality.

    Because psychological wellness is such an important component of every student's success, we also encourage you to become familiar with the information on our website, to learn about the symptoms of depression, anxiety disorders, eating problems, substance abuse and to become familiar with our services. In this way we can be effective partners for our students' wellness and mental health.

    What if my child needs a service you cannot provide?

    We can provide parents with referrals to counseling services outside the university. However, it is best to have your child come in to the Center during our walk-in hours (Monday 2-3:30; Tuesday 1-2:30; Thursday 8:30-10; & Friday 10:00 – 11:30) and speak to an intake counselor. We can assess the situation and make a more appropriate referral if we meet personally with your daughter or son.

    Are there any other resources that might be helpful for me as a parent concerned about my child? How can I access information about my son or daughter's treatment?

    Due to state and federal law, as well as professional codes of ethics, we can neither confirm nor deny whether any individual age 18 or older is involved in ANY type of therapy at the Counseling Center. Furthermore, apart from a few exceptional circumstances such as harm to self or others, we cannot communicate any information regarding the session content, treatment history, or diagnosis of a client. If you are a family member or Lee University professional and you wish to receive ANY information from our office regarding a student, you MUST obtain that student's written permission. While we are happy to take any information you wish to share, we cannot communicate any information about a client without a signed authorization form.